SUPPORT THE EFFORT TO END SLAVERY + HUMAN TRAFFICKING WORLD WIDE!
August 23 is International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition, memorializing Trans Atlantic Slaves and bringing awareness to modern slavery.
This International Day is intended to inscribe the tragedy of the slave trade in the memory of all peoples across the globe. In alignment with the goals of the UNESCO intercultural project "The Slave Route", let us reflect upon historic causes, methods, and consequences of this tragedy, and analyze interactions between Africa, Europe, the Americas, and the Caribbean.
Sevenly’s Cause Partner Freedomunited.org defines modern slavery:
- An estimated 40 million people are in modern slavery all over the world. This generates an estimated $150 billion in illegal profits every year, making forced labor the second largest international crime.
- Bonded labor or debt bondage is when a workers’ labor is demanded to repay a loan.
- Forced labor is any work which people are forced to do against their will. According to the United Nations International Labour Organization (ILO) there are 24,900,000 people in forced labor.
- Child slavery is one of the most shocking forms of slavery. Worldwide it is estimated that that one in four victims of slavery are children.
- Live-in migrant domestic workers are particularly vulnerable to exploitation because confined to a private home, they are isolated from protections offered in a regular workplace.
- Child marriage can be another form of slavery if either party hasn’t given their free and informed consent, if either party is being subjected to control and a sense of ownership, or if either party cannot realistically leave or end the marriage.
- Human trafficking is the act of recruiting or transferring a person by means of coercion, abduction or deception for the purpose of exploitation. Although most people assume sexual exploitation to be the most common reason for trafficking people, it is in fact for FORCED LABOR.
What can World-Changers do about this tragic reality? First, shop with companies you are sure to pay their employees a living wage, or in other words, vote with your dollar. If the demand for modern slavery labor decreases, the practice can be stopped in its tracks... one purchase at a time.
For an even greater impact, support organizations like Freedom United and The Walk Free Foundation. Both organizations aim to end modern slavery and human trafficking in our generation.
Shop The Collection HERE