National Suicide Prevention Month
Our cause partner The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They are committed to improving crisis services and advancing suicide prevention by empowering individuals, advancing professional best practices, and building awareness.
We will be talking about suicide prevention during September for National Suicide Prevention Month. Here are some helpful suggestions about how to create open dialog about this modern epidemic.
Talk to your family openly about suicide even if it is uncomfortable.
Know the risk factors:
- History of substance abuse
- Access to firearms
- Difficult life events
- Isolation from others
- History of mental illness
- History of physical or sexual abuse
- Having a terminal or chronic illness
- Past suicide attempts
Watch carefully for emotional markers:
- Feeling depressed
- Lack of interest in activities once enjoyed
- Shame or humiliation
- Mood swings
Listen for verbal clues including:
- Killing themselves
- Their life having no purpose
- Feeling like a burden
- Feeling stuck
- Not wanting to exist
Look for behavioral markers:
- Isolating from others
- Not communicating with friends or family
- Giving away possessions or writing a will
- Driving recklessly
- Increased aggression
- Increased drug and alcohol use
- Searching about suicide on the Internet
- Gathering materials (pills or a weapon)
And finally, we must ALL know how to see suicidal tendencies in students.
- Experience bullying
- Lose someone close to them
- Experience physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
- Abuse drugs or alcohol
- Have a history of mental illness
- Feel uncertain about their sexual orientation
Give A Lifeline in honor of National Suicide Prevention Month. You can bring awareness by shopping our Suicide Prevention Collection at 20% OFF. 7% of your purchase goes to The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
#PeopleMatter #SuicideAwareness #SuicidePrevention #Suicide #WorldChanger #WorldChangers #NationalSuicidePreventionLifeLine #Sevenly #NationalSuicidePreventionMonth #SuicideHotline #SuicideHelpline #SuicidePreventionToday #SuicideAwarenessMonth #SuicideAwareness #SuicideZero
Also in Sevenly
You can join our mission to provide support to restaurant workers who’ve been hit hard by the COVID-19 crisis by purchasing a Pepsi T-shirt or Tote Bag featuring their special artwork.
100% of proceeds will go to the RERF.